What is EPP?
Why Buy Environmentally Preferable Products and Services?
EP products and services have numerous benefits:
- Save money (upfront costs and/or life-cycle costs)
- Reduce toxins entering the environment
- Reduce human exposure to toxins
- Reduce the amount of natural resources needed to fulfill product or service requirements
- Reduce air, water, and land pollution
- Build consumer markets for safer, less-polluting products and services
- Promote safer work environments (manufacturing sites, end-users, and recyclers)
How Do I Buy/Specify Environmentally Preferable Products?
- EASY/NOVICE: Buy “green” off of existing cooperative contracts
- EASY/NOVICE: Utilize existing “green” specifications from other agencies
- EASY/NOVICE: Utilize existing “green” product & service standards (eco-labels, “best practice” standards)
- SOME EXPERTISE REQUIRED: Review “green” product research by non-profit organizations, schools, and manufacturers and develop your own EPP specification
- SOME ADDITIONAL MONEY LIKELY REQUIRED: Work with a green procurement consultant to develop specifications for a particular product/service area
See the resources on the left-hand side of this page for more information on the above.